This morning I applied the current MS patches to a number of my servers. On some they worked fine, but on this server – my blog server the patch horked up Sharepoint Services 3.0.
I was getting the following error
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: Topology
Event ID: 6800
Time: 7:31:59 AM
The database WSS_Content on SERVERNAME\Microsoft##SSEE is not accessible to missing Windows Internal Database signatures.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
I picked a section of the error message that would not likely generate too many false positives and searched on the following…
"is not accessible to missing Windows Internal Database signatures."
Found a number of references to people having this error earlier in the year and how they resolved it. Not sure though why it caused me trouble now.
Vlad has seen it too. http://www.vladville.com/fixing-sharepoint-30-with-kb932091
I ran through that process, but the Sharepoint Configuration Wizard would not work still. It kept failing on step 9 of 10.
Digging into the logs seemed to suggest that my administrator account didn’t have permission. I’ve actually renamed my administrator account to something else. After some digging and help from some friends (thanks Damian) I was still no closer to the solution. Damian thought it might be related to orphaned sites on my WSS 3.0 installation. I had a gut feel that it was the renamed admin account. I renamed the account BACK to administrator, rebooted and re-ran the Sharepoint Configuration wizard – and finally – after 4 hours of messing around, it works!
At the end of all this – I’m still in my pre-patch situation. I had both an NTBackup and StorageCraft image of the server before I started patching this morning. However after 4 hours of messing around, I need to get some work done. I’ll look again at the patch on the weekend to see if I want to bash my head against the wall some more.
Watch out for it this patch – it’s not nice!