spiderwebwoman …

… step into my parlor

Toshiba is replacing my PocketPC

Filed under: Gadgets,Toshiba e805 — spiderwebwoman at 7:13 pm on Sunday, June 13, 2004

They agreed that 3 times was enough – they are sending a box via UPS to collect the broken one and everything that came with it (except the CD) – as soon as they get it back, they will send me a new one.

Happy happy dance of joy!

5 Comments

John L.

June 23, 2004 @ 3:52 pm

Kathleen,

Did you get your new Toshiba e805 Pocket-PC back yet?

Mine came back "repaired" for the second time with a new digitizer, sort of worked for a few hours then failed again. I called for the 3rd time, they offered to "escalate" the case and had a supervisor call me back the next day… that was yesterday. Like you, the supervisor offered a me a new replacement unit upon return of the original one (now 2 months old).

Yesterday afternoon I pulled out the unit to play around with it one last time and to see if anything might have changed. When I pulled it out of it’s leather case, I noticed a smudge on the digitizer screen. Prior to turning it on, I used a soft cloth to vigorously buff the smudge off. It took some moderate pressure and rubbing to get it all off. I next slid the battery switch on would you believe the unit worked perfectly and has ever since! I flashed the firmware up to Mobile 2003 SE and that works great too.

Another pick-up box arrived this morning and despite yesterday’s "miraculous" healing, I’m still sending it back. It’s now packed up and waiting to go out tonight via FedEx.

Now I just wait for the replacement and hope that it isn’t a lemon too.

Regards,

John

Kathleen Anderson

June 23, 2004 @ 5:28 pm

Hi John:

The replacement was just delivered this afternoon. I haven’t taken it out of the box yet.

FWIW, I think you made the right decision – I would have done the same thing.

Please let me know how it works out – I’ll be posting the final outcome of my saga here.

Kathleen Anderson

June 23, 2004 @ 7:32 pm

John:

I just opened the box and took a look at what was included – to make sure they sent a cradle, etc., because I had to send all that back. I started reading the specs on the box – I saw 64 MB RAM/16MBROM, SD-Card Slot – but no CF Card slot – turned the box over and discovered – they sent me an e405 – not an e805!!

So, I called Toshiba again – spoke to a supervisor. He said they will send one in advance (not wait for me to send this one back) and in the box with the new one will be a label to send the e405 back to them.

Sigh.

John L.

June 25, 2004 @ 4:55 pm

Unbelievable!

Could they possibly screw things up any more for you???

Just for fun I called Toshiba tech support a couple of minutes ago to check the status of my e805 return/replacement. I was curious to see what model they showed shipped back out to me. Unfortunately, tech support had no information to give me because they don’t share the same database with the "depot" where the new replacement unit will ship from.

According to UPS tracking, they received my unit back on the 24th, so tech support said to give it another day or two and if it doesn’t arrive. If it doesn’t, I’m to call them back and they’ll email the depot to find out what’s going on.

Good luck,

John L.

Kathleen Anderson

June 25, 2004 @ 7:41 pm

John:

The replacement e805 was delivered yesterday afternoon – less than 24 hours after I called them to tell them they’d sent the wrong one.

At this point, knock on wood, things are going well.

Even if they could check the database for you and told you a new e805 is on the way, don’t get too excited until you open the box for yourself. The packing slip that came with the e405 said e805!

Kathleen

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.